Welcome to the art of curiosity; my personal amble through the worlds of art, crafts, books & all manner of other curiosities. You'll find examples of my jewellery & art work plus an account of how I'm attempting to confound depression & my bipolarity by pursuing my creativity. There's a lot of whimsy too; my mind set is distinctly frivolous at times!

So, Dear Reader, won't you join me on my journey?

Saturday 19 May 2007

The Barbara Hepworth Memorial Hole


I've just posted a scan of this postcard on the 'pursuing the art of curiosity' blog & it's reminded me of one of the early disasters which occurred whilst remodelling, re-roofing, rewiring, blah, blah, blahing our house ( it's only taken seven years or is it nine? This year should be the last - I'll believe when I see it. Change that - I'll believe it when I'm in Italy next summer. Every holiday has been consumed by our house, but as soon as it's finished, I can go 'home'.)

OMD decided that he had sufficient experience to remove a wall light in the sitting room. To this day I don't know exactly what went wrong, but we ended up with a large hole in the wall. The plasterer was on holiday & had a number of other jobs to slot in before he rejoined us and so we had to live with this 'exciting' new feature for quite some time. I nicknamed it 'The Barbara Hepworth Memorial Hole' and stuck a make-shift plaque underneath it. It's not the only 'art installation' that we've lived with during all the renovation work that we've done over the years, but it's the one that has stuck in my mind.

2 comments:

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

Ah hahah!!! I love it!

siola-jay gardner said...

when barbara died i think it made artists look at a hole new way of life and thats why we have so many good artists today.

siola-jay gardner
age 12